Color My Agenda
Hello there friend! Looks like you're new here. You will surely get a lot more value out of our forum if you join us, it's Free!
If you join, be sure to look for the verification mail that was sent to the email you sign up with. You will not be an active member until you click it and verify your email.
Color My Agenda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How-to's, Community Learning and DFY Content, Planners, Journals and PLR

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Useful ToolsUseful Tools  Domains/HostingDomains/Hosting  
WELCOME! PLEASE READ!!
IF YOU JUST JOINED BE SURE TO VALIDATE YOUR EMAIL THEN LOG IN AND MAKE ONE POST TO FULLY ACTIVATE YOUR MEMBERSHIP!
HATE PESKY ADS? CLICK HOW TO USE AN ADBLOCK
and they will Magically disappear!

"This website & posts may contain affiliate links. As an Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you,
if you make a purchase though a link!" RECOMMENDED RESOURCES !

What you want to know about Orchids

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PDTSA
Team Member
Team Member
PDTSA

What you want to know about Orchids Empty
PostSubject: What you want to know about Orchids What you want to know about Orchids Icon_minitimeMon 12 Apr 2021, 11:53 am

I am sorry I have been gone so long. I lost the link the forum and could not remember the name so that I could look it up. Talk about a Senior Moment - It was more like a senior couple of months!

The American Orchid society has lots of good info for your orchids. https://www.aos.org/orchids/orchid-care.aspx

I only have one orchid and it is blooming right now but I honestly don't know why it is doing so well. I have never had an orchid before and this was a gift for Mother's Day a few years ago. I keep it out of direct sunlight, water it well once a week and just repotted it last fall. I now have 5 blooms open and 3 more buds waiting to open.

I put the Faqs from the AOS below. I would highly suggest checking out that site for more info on your orchids.

Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I cut the spike?
Of all of the more commonly available orchids, only Phalaenopsis (the moth orchid) will re-bloom from its old spike. Phalaenopsis will generally re-bloom given a little extra care. read more

How do I water my orchid?
Avoid overwatering which leads to the demise of many more orchids than underwatering. Constant wetness will cause the roots to rot, which leaves the plant without a means for taking up nourishment which then causes the leaves to droop and will eventually kill the plant. read more

How do I feed my orchid?
Orchids need to be fed regularly. Growers suggest using a "balanced" fertilizer such as 20-20-20 that includes all "necessary trace elements." read more

When should I repot?
Orchid plants need repotting for one or a combination of two main factors: Potting mix breaks down, often evidenced by dead roots, or the plant outgrowing the container. read more

What is the best potting media?
A fresh, fast-draining, but water-retentive medium is essential to the healthy root system necessary for good growth. read more

Where in the house can I grow my orchid?
South and east-facing windows work best for orchids. West_windows can be too hot in the afternoon and north-facing ones are usually too dark. read more

Why won't my orchid re-bloom?
Insufficient light is the most common cause of failure to re-bloom your orchid. Leaf color indicates if the amount of light is adequate. read more

What's growing on the flower stem?
A plantlet (called a keiki (kay-kee), the Hawaiian word for baby) will sometimes grow on a flower spike (called an "inflorescence"). read more

What is the best orchid for growing in the home?
One of the most widely available orchids of the mass market types is also the best for the home - the phalaenopsis or moth orchid which will grow easily under the same conditions enjoyed by African Violets. read more

What should I look for when I buy an Orchid?
Many consumers, both retail and retailer, find themselves in a position today of having to make purchase- oriented decisions about an entirely new -- to them, at least -- class of plants: orchids. read more

Why are my orchid's leaves wrinkled and leathery?
Shriveled leaves indicate a lack of water to plant tissue. The next step is to determine why the plant is not getting sufficient water. read more
Back to top Go down

What you want to know about Orchids
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Color My Agenda :: The Writers Block :: The Garden Gnomes-
Jump to: