Color My Agenda
Hello there friend! Looks like you're new here. You will surely get a lot more value out of our forum if you join us, it's Free!
If you join, be sure to look for the verification mail that was sent to the email you sign up with. You will not be an active member until you click it and verify your email.
Color My Agenda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How-to's, Community Learning and DFY Content, Planners, Journals and PLR

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Useful ToolsUseful Tools  Domains/HostingDomains/Hosting  
WELCOME! PLEASE READ!!
IF YOU JUST JOINED BE SURE TO VALIDATE YOUR EMAIL THEN LOG IN AND MAKE ONE POST TO FULLY ACTIVATE YOUR MEMBERSHIP!
HATE PESKY ADS? CLICK HOW TO USE AN ADBLOCK
and they will Magically disappear!

"This website & posts may contain affiliate links. As an Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you,
if you make a purchase though a link!" RECOMMENDED RESOURCES !

Let's Learn About SEO

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CMA Admin
Admin
Admin
CMA Admin

Let's Learn About SEO Empty
PostSubject: Let's Learn About SEO Let's Learn About SEO Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2021, 12:25 pm

SEO is one of those things lots of people find elusive, and confusing. Maybe it's meant to be that way, as Google does seem to be persnickety when it comes to ranking. There are rules of course, but mostly it is simpler than most of us realize. 

I will try to add valuable info for you about SEO, starting with 6 SEO Mistakes You Need to Avoid

You’ve worked hard to build your website, stores, sales funnel etc, and you are ready to enter the world of SEO for massive traffic. Learn to play your cards right, and you will be rewarded with tons of steady passive traffic from organic searches. Play a bad hand, you’ll be penalized and slapped by the Google spiders. That being said, here are 6 SEO mistakes you must avoid at all costs.

Mistake #1 – Overuse of keywords. I can’t stress the importance of this enough. Having too much keywords sprinkled throughout your site can lead to your site coming off as “spammy” by Google and you will be punished.

Mistake #2 – Link farming. Getting a bunch of low quality back links from other sites only says one thing – Your site is of low quality. Always strive to get high quality back links from authority sites.

Mistake #3 – SEO Softwares – These are the banes of SEO. Google does not approve of any dodgy software that claims to boost SEO, get you a bunch of backlinks or write articles for you.

Mistake #4- Blackhat SEO techniques. These phrases were coined in the early internet marketing days. Back then they were useful, now they have been shunned by Google and anyone caught using it will be severely punished and be banned from being found on the search engines.

Mistake #5 –No social interactions. The world is interconnected now, and the Almightly Google recognizes this by now rewarding people who include social interactions into the mix. Get people to connect with you via blog commenting, social sharing and other stuff if you want good SEO.

Mistake #6 – Too little content. Typically, you need at least 100 blog posts before your website can be found on Google significantly. If you lack the content, it’s time to get your mojo on.

Last edited by CMA Admin on Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dailylifeagenda.com https://colormyagenda.com
CMA Admin
Admin
Admin
CMA Admin

PostSubject: How does SEO it work? Let's Learn About SEO Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2021, 12:31 pm

SEO: What is it and how does it work?

SEO is also known as Search Engine Optimization, which means optimizing your web site or website’s content so that they can be found easily on search engines by people searching for specific terms easily.  It is basically the art of getting your page found on the largest search engine in the world – Google.

Google ranks pages in terms of page rank and search term competitiveness. Typically, pages with high page ranks have high traffic flow, many social interactions such as blog comments and also many authority back links flowing into the website. The more competing websites for a particular search term, the harder it is to get your website on the front page of Google.

As we all know, getting your website on the front page of Google for high volume search terms is the key to getting tons of free traffic. Keyword or keyword phrase research often is done to determine the high volume search terms and advertising competition. Your goal is to find keywords with high search volume but low competition and blast SEO.

Here are some examples of SEO: 

Sprinkling keywords and keyword phrases in your website’s content. Normally, you would target a 2-5% keyword density for your website. Getting back links from authority sites of similar niches (pages with high PR and traffic volume), and using keyword phrases as anchor text links.

Essentially, a well SEO optimized website can easily be found on Google and will benefit from free traffic from search engines. Some marketers even go to the extent of hiring SEO experts or SEO copywriters to optimize their websites as the returns from the traffic often outweigh the costs of hiring these experts.

In summary, SEO can be easily learnt and applied in your online business platforms. The key to SEO success is to provide highly targeted, relevant content to your readers and Google will reward you.
Back to top Go down
CMA Admin
Admin
Admin
CMA Admin

PostSubject: Two types of SEO, Onsite and Offsite Let's Learn About SEO Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2021, 3:24 pm

The difference between onsite SEO and offsite SEO

SEO or search engine optimization, when used correctly can get you tons of free organic traffic from Google. When it comes to SEO practices, there are two main categories – Onsite SEO and offsite SEO. Here I will explain the differences between the two and how you can target both of them.

Onsite SEO means optimizing your website or blog internally to boost your page ranking. There are many ways to do this – keyword optimization, onsite linking among posts and pages, using anchor text links, tagging posts, alternative text for images etc. Keyword density is an important factor as excessive use of a certain keyword can make you penalized.

Fully optimizing your website content is a pre-requisite for good SEO points but it won’t be enough, you’ll have to incorporate off-site SEO methods together in order to be ranked higher in Google.

Offsite SEO involves getting back links from various sources on the internet which does not belong to your website. Back links are basically people from other websites linking to your website. The higher quality the back link, the more Google juice you will get. People sharing your website on social networks and talking about your website also constitute as offsite SEO.

You can get a variety of back links from many credible sources such as other people’s blogs (of the same niche), Twitter, web 2.0 pages such as Hub pages, and even YouTube.

In summary, the key to getting high placement on Google’s search engine and successfully using SEO is to have good onsite SEO and offsite SEO. The internet has evolved from an information providing hub to a place of online social interactions which can be seen through social media sharing, blog commenting and reviews.

Steps To Good SEO Practices

As already mentioned, Search Engine Optimization or SEO, is the art of getting your website or blog on the front page of Google Search for specific search terms. Now I will cover a couple of basic SEO steps which you can learn and apply to your online business instantly.

Keywords and keyword phrases. Keyword phrases are niche specific words that people search for. For example, a keyword could be something like “bird watching” (2 keywords). A keyword phrase is a short phrase which contains the keywords you are targeting such as “training your bird”. Basically, you want to target these high search volume keywords and key phrases and use them in your blog posts or article frequently.

Your job is to find a right balance in keyword density. If you overuse keywords in your website, your website will come off as spam by the search engines. Try to keep density within 2-3% to be safe.

In general, Google gives pages with lots of quality back links, high traffic volume and social interactions such as blog comments a good page ranking. These type of sites are referred to as “Authority sites”. Your job is to make your website become an authority site by adopting good SEO practices.

Tips for writing – As a general rule of thumb, include your keyword inside the title and on the first paragraph of the body. Whenever possible, bold or italicize the keyword or key phrase that you are targeting.

You should fill up your website with good, relevant content as the Google spider crawlers are getting smarter and smarter at picking up what’s fluff and what’s not. Adopt these good SEO practices and you’ll be on your way to tons of traffic.

And in conclusion.....

Here are some “Legal” Tricks For Jumpstarting Your SEO

SEO has been the subject of talks among online marketers forever. The importance of SEO in getting you tons of free, and highly targeted organic search traffic must not be overlooked. Let’s take a look at some  legal and Google friendly SEO tricks to get your website SEO fired up.

Networking with other marketers and people within your niche is a mist. The fastest way to jumpstart your SEO is to network with others, such as by stopping and asking them for a link exchange. You can even offer to pay a fix amount to have your link posted on the front page of their website, or simply offer to trade links. You never know until you ask.

Work on getting back links through Twitter! Recently, Google has announced that Twitter will now be a form of credible back links, so the more people you get on the net talking about your website, the more SEO happy you will get.

Spend some time optimizing your images. People say that images don’t contribute to SEO because Google spiders can’t crawl it. Rubbish, I say! You can add captions, alternative text and descriptions to your images and use keywords to optimize.

If you’ve tried blogging platforms such as Blogger and Wordpress, you’d realize that you can categorize and “tag” your posts. These are great for boosting your SEO, so make sure you organize your web content accordingly.

Get your readers to interact on your blog. Social interactions are an important part of SEO now. Even giants such as Google have a new concept called “+1” similar to Facebook “Likes”, which by the way is also a form of social interactions.

In short, applying these short tips can have a huge impact on your SEO efforts. This combined with good SEO practices can ensure you a steady flow of free traffic.

Posting questions or more tips is welcome...... 
Soon there will be a free course and maybe a SEO challenge for members. 
Stay Tuned!

Dee likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dee
Dee

PostSubject: Re: Let's Learn About SEO Let's Learn About SEO Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2021, 11:04 am

Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum. This article on on-page and off-page SEO is so useful for new bloggers like me. I could not wrap my head around all the SEO terms thrown around in the blogging world. But now I have better clarity on these two basic differences. I have 3 immediate things to update-
1) Image Optimization beyond just alt+text.
2) Twitter Talk- Fortunately, I'm following #bloggertribe there and keep sharing my latest blog articles. We all help each other out on Twitter blogging and writer's community
3) Guest-posting. I have updated on the guest-post opportunity on the blog and so far landed one opportunity from Ultimate Bundle. But I need more confidence to ask people.
If you are planning SEO challenge, I am up for it in a heartbeat! Thank you so much.

CMA Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down
CMA Admin
Admin
Admin
CMA Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let's Learn About SEO Let's Learn About SEO Icon_minitimeWed 01 Dec 2021, 2:00 pm

Back to top Go down
CMA Admin
Admin
Admin
CMA Admin

PostSubject: Learning to use anchor text! Let's Learn About SEO Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun 2022, 4:19 pm

Another great series on SEO and Tags from Nathan! I have tried to copy the way it was sent, it may look a little wonky in places, but I beleive it was posted with all links in tact.

What is anchor text and how do you optimize it for maximum SEO performance?
That’s what this guide is all about.
You’re going to learn:

Ready to become an anchor text optimization pro?
Let’s jump in.

What is Anchor Text?

Anchor text is the visible and clickable text in a link.
Here’s how it looks in HTML:

my cool website

The phrase “anchor text” applies to all hyperlinks including internal and external links.

This guide you’re going to read is about external anchor text.
Why?

Because it alone can make or break your SEO performance.
But before you can learn how to optimize anchor text, you need to know the history.

A Short History of Anchor Text

Let’s rewind the clock back to 2011.
In those days, keyword-rich anchor text was all the rage.

Let's Learn About SEO Anchor-text-in-2011

All you had to do was build links with keyword-rich anchor text and you would rank fast.
Then Google decided to launch the first Penguin update on April 24, 2012.
In short:
Your rankings got wrecked if you were using keyword-rich anchor text.

Let's Learn About SEO Google-Penguin-Penalty

When I say “your”, I mean “my” rankings.

Many of my sites got wrecked with the first Penguin update. That’s because I was nothing more than an algorithm manipulator back then.

But in hindsight:
I’m grateful for that update because it forced me to actually learn SEO.

It also motivated me to figure out how to optimize anchor text in a safe and effective way.

But before I can show you the methods, you need to know the basics.

The first thing you need to know is the different types of anchor text you can use.

9 Different Types of Anchor Text

Here are nine different types of anchor text you can use from the safest to least safe:

1. Branded Anchors

“Branded” anchors are any anchor that uses your brand name. Here are some examples:
  • Gotch SEO

• Nathan Gotch

• Nathan Gotch SEO

Sentence sample: “You can learn search engine optimization at Gotch SEO.”

Branded anchors are the safest type of anchor text if you’re using a branded domain.

If you have an exact or partial match domain, you need to be careful.

More on this in a later section.

To see the power of “branded” anchors, look at any big brand’s link profile.
Here are some examples for you:

Let's Learn About SEO Best-Buy-Anchor-Text

2. Generic Anchors

“Generic” anchors are often calls-to-action (CTAs) like:
  • click here

• go here

• this website

In a sentence: “Go here if you are looking for SEO information.” – “Go here” is the generic anchor text.

3. Naked Link Anchors

Any anchor that uses a raw URL is considered a “naked” link.
Here are some examples:

4. No Anchor Trick

This is a tricky little strategy I see big brands doing.
Whether purposefully or not, it’s a good idea. Here’s what it looks like:

Let's Learn About SEO No-text-anchor-text

The easiest way to build “noText” anchors is through images. You can also “forget” to include an anchor within an article.

5. Image Anchors

Google uses an image’s ALT text as the anchor text for a linked image.

6. Brand + Keyword Anchor

You can diversify your anchor tex profile by combining your brand name and your target keyword.
For example:

• Gotch SEO Ahrefs

• anchor text by Gotch SEO

• Gotch SEO link building tactics

7. Keyword Variations

Keyword variations are perfect for diversifying your anchor text profile. They can also help drive more topical relevance to your page.
Here are some examples of my target keyword is “backlinks“:

• what are backlinks

• where to get backlinks

• how do you build backlinks

8. Partial Match Anchors

Partial match anchors are similar to keyword variations. The key difference is that you’re adding generic words around the primary keyword phrase.
Here are some examples for the target keyword “anchor text”:

• this anchor text guide

• cool anchor text article

• read this anchor text post

9. Exact Match Anchors

Exact match anchors are the king of all anchor text.

They have the power to increase your rankings, but also have the power to get your site penalized.

An exact match anchor is an exact match of whatever your target keyword is for the target page.

Example: if “buy backlinks” is my target keyword, then my exact match anchor would be “buy backlinks“.

Those are all the anchor text variations I recommend using.
Now let’s talk about something that will make your anchor text even more powerful.

How to Build Relevance Without Exact Match Anchors

Google recently filed a patent about: “anchor tag indexing in a web crawler system”.

Let's Learn About SEO Google-Anchor-Text-Patent

Don’t worry,
I’m not going to bore you to death.

Once you get past all the technical language, there’s one big idea in this patent:

Google uses the text around your link (“annotation text“) to assign its topical relevance. It will also use the anchor text of the link to accomplish that goal as well.

So what does that mean for you?

The good news is that it’s simple and makes perfect sense.

Here’s what you need to do:

1: Find relevant websites in your industry

2: Get backlinks within content that’s relevant to your target page

3: Try to place your primary keyword close to your link

4: Use intelligent anchor text

5: Understand that relevance is the key to link building success

Here are some examples for the target keyword “anchor text” (link placement in red):

“If you are looking for more information about anchor text go here right away.”

Anchor text is the visible and clickable text in a link. For more in-depth information you should read this article from Gotch SEO.”

“For more in-depth information about anchor text I highly recommend this article: 
https://www.gotchseo.com/anchor-text/.”

Here’s the big takeaway:
Place your links in relevant content and place your primary keyword close to your link.

Now the question is:
What anchor text should you use?

The Right Anchor Text to Use

There’s a common trend among the hundreds of penalized websites I’ve audited.
They almost always have aggressive anchor text percentages.

Let's Learn About SEO Over-Optimized-Anchor-Text

In fact:
It’s the first place I look when someone needs help with a penalized website.
You can analyze your anchor text distribution right now with Ahrefs.

Open up their Site Explorer tool and enter your domain.

Let's Learn About SEO Ahrefs-site-explorer

Then click on “Anchors”.

Let's Learn About SEO Ahrefs-Anchor-Text-Section

Now before I go any further, I need to cover an important question:

Should You Copy Your Competitors Anchor Text?

My friend and fellow SEO, Matt Diggity recommends this strategy.

Let's Learn About SEO Matt-Diggity-Anchor-Text

In short:
You should look at the anchor text percentages of the ranking competitors and model them.
I agree with the philosophy, but there are some issues.

1. Modeling the anchor text percentages of an authoritative website is risky.

Authoritative websites have built a lot of trust. Therefore, it’s more “acceptable” for them to have high percentages of keyword-rich anchors.
If you copy them, you’ll likely get wrecked.

Why?
Because your site doesn’t have the authority and trust to do so.

2. It doesn’t take into account site-wide anchor text percentages.

How do some websites get away with aggressive exact match anchor text?

It’s because they:

1: Have the authority and trust to do so

2: Have a high percentage of unoptimized anchors in their site-wide profile

That’s why you can’t model them on a page-by-page level.
You have to model their entire anchor text profile.

Let’s take Moz.com for example.

If you examine their site-wide anchor text, you’ll see that most of it is branded or generic.

Let's Learn About SEO Moz-Anchor-Text

This gives them the leeway they need to be more aggressive on the page level.
Here’s their anchor text for their “anchor text” page:

Let's Learn About SEO Moz-anchor-text-percentage
One could argue that this is “aggressive”. But it’s acceptable because they have authority, trust, and unoptimized anchor text across the site as a whole.
59% is huge on its own, but it’s small relative to their entire site:

Let's Learn About SEO Example

So what’s the big takeaway?

You shouldn’t model your competitor’s anchor text if you don’t have authority, trust, and unoptimized anchor text across your site.

Then what should you do?

Follow these percentages and you’ll never need to worry about penalties and you’ll still get awesome results.

Safe Anchor Text Percentages That Work

These percentages are not law. Do what’s best for your situation. However, these ratios have helped me A) avoid getting penalized and B) still drive huge results (without being risky).

• 70% = Branded Anchors

• 20% = Naked Link Anchors

• 5% = Generic Anchors

• < 5% = Partial Match Anchors

• < 1% = Exact Match Anchors

Now let me introduce you to a strategy I developed for building a natural anchor text profile.

How to Rank With Less Backlinks

My strategy is “Anchor Text Cycling” and it works like this:
Let's Learn About SEO Anchor-Text-Cycling_-More-Rankings-With-Fewer-Backlinks

Step 1: Hit your target page with an exact match anchor

You might be wondering:
“Isn’t it dangerous to hit a brand new website with an exact match anchor?”

Nope.
Sites get penalized for their link profiles as a whole.
Not one or two links.

It’s like saying eating McDonald’s one time is the reason why someone is overweight.

We know that it’s the combined effect of a bad diet over a period of time that leads to obesity.

The same goes for your link profile!

Now that I got the weird analogy out of the way…

Why do I use an exact match anchor for my first backlink?

A) I want to see how the site reacts
B) I want to establish what my site or the target page is about right away

The next step is to:

Step 2: Hit your site with unoptimized anchor text variations

Use branded, naked link, generic, and keyword variations at this stage.

Step 3: Track your rankings and watch the progress

You can get a decent read on your performance within 1-3 months. If your page isn’t moving, then you need to reassess. The answer is rarely to use more exact match anchor text.
Often times pages aren’t performing well because:

• The site isn’t strong enough

• The page doesn’t have enough backlinks

• The backlinks you do have are low-quality

• The page is poorly built

If you feel you have a 10/10 on those three facets, then:

Step 4: Hit your site with another exact match anchor (if necessary)

Repeat this process over-and-over until you rank.

The entire point of using anchor cycling is to build a diverse and natural anchor profile.

Do you want to know the secret to a “natural” anchor profile?
The key is to be random and to avoid patterns.

Take a look at these two examples:

Site #1 is the typical link profile you’ll see when someone is spamming anchor text.

Let's Learn About SEO Site-1
Google’s algorithm can easily conclude that this site is building artificial links. A manual reviewer wouldn’t even be necessary.

Site #2 has a natural and diverse anchor profile.

Let's Learn About SEO Site-2

It will outrank Site #1 with fewer backlinks and less keyword-rich anchor text.

It doesn’t matter whether you’re doing black, grey, or white hat SEO, this concept still applies to you.

Now that you understand how to cycle your anchors, let me show you WHERE to place your anchors.

Where to Place Your Anchor Text

Every link opportunity requires a unique anchor text strategy.
This is by far the biggest misstep I see people make.
They apply anchor text ratios and use cycling, but they place their anchor text the wrong way.

I would argue that this section is the most important part for you to understand.

Here is a list of every link type and exact anchor text you should use:

Exact & Partial Match Anchors

Concentrate your exact and partial match anchor text on your best link opportunities. “Best” link opportunities are often those that are difficult and expensive to get.

Here are some examples:

1. Niche Relevant Guest Posts

If you can score a link in the body of the content, then use a keyword-rich anchor. But if you can only get an author bio link, then use a branded (or unoptimized) anchor text.

Let's Learn About SEO Guest-posting-dead

Google cracked down on spammy guest posting practices a long-time ago. One consistent footprint is when people jam keyword-rich anchors in author bios. Don’t do this.

2. Resource Pages

Resource pages are great opportunities to place exact or partial match anchors.

Let's Learn About SEO Resource-page

Using the title of your resource is an effective (and safe) route as well.

3. Private Blog Networks (PBNs)

I don’t mess around with PBNs anymore, but you should use exact and partial match anchors. You invested money to buy the expired domain, so you should try to get the most out of it.

[size=30]
[/size]

Where to Place Unoptimized Anchors

All foundational (non-editorial) links should use unoptimized anchor text.

Some examples include:

• Paid Directories

• Traditional Directories

• Business Citations

• Press Releases

• Niche Relevant Blog Comments

• Web 2.0s

• Forum Signatures

• Site-Wide Sidebar or Footer Links

• Profile Links

• Social Bookmarks

• Donations/Sponsorships

Only use branded, naked, or generic anchor text on these link types.

Now let me show you how to handle anchor text whenever you’re using 301 redirects.

How to Handle Anchor Text from a 301 Redirect

301 redirect is a permanent redirect. All of the anchor text from the page or website being redirected gets transferred to the new page.

Why does this matter?

It matters because the spammy links and aggressive anchor text will transfer to your new page or domain.

Here’s what you need to do:

1: Avoid directing any garbage to your website

2: Build unoptimized anchors to the new website

This will help combat anchor text over-optimization issues when you redirect.

How to Optimize Tier Two and Tier Three Anchor Text

You can be more liberal with your keyword-rich anchors on tier two and three.

Just don’t go crazy.

Here are the tier two ratios that I stick to:

• Naked links: 40%

• Generic: 30%

• LSI, Partial-Match: 25%

• Exact Match: 5%

The same principles explained above apply here.
Concentrate your keyword-rich anchors on your best opportunities.

Here are my tier three ratios:

• Naked links: 10%

• Generic: 10%

• LSI, Partial-Match: 50%

• Exact Match: 30%

How to Optimize Anchor Text for Exact & Partial Match Domains

I always tell beginners to avoid exact or partial match domains. Why? Because they are super easy to over-optimize.
But if you already have one, let me show you how to optimize your anchor text the right way.

Here are the ratios I aim for with an exact match domain:

• Naked Links: 70%

• Generic: 20%

• LSI: 5%

• Partial Match: 1-5%

• Branded / Exact Match Anchors: 1-5%

You’ll notice a few different things here.
First, I reduce the “Branded” anchor text percentages.
Why?

Because EMDs aren’t actually branded. They’re just keywords in a domain.

I also increase the amount of naked and generic anchor text. This helps combat over-optimization.

But there’s one thing you can do to make your life a lot easier.
Even if your domain is “exactmatchanchortext.com”, you can still create a brand name. So although your domain is “exactmatchanchortext.com”, your brand name could be “Growth Crew”.

Then you can build branded anchor text (“Growth Crew”) without any worries.

How to Fix Over-Optimized Anchor Text

Websites rarely get penalized for just having over-optimized anchor text.

That’s because aggressive anchor text strategies are often accompanied by other poor practices. The truth is that websites get penalized because they’re doing a lot of stuff wrong.

Let's Learn About SEO How-to-Fix-Over-Optimized-Anchor-Text

Google doesn’t have “Penguin” or “Panda” updates anymore.
However, these concepts still apply. You could theoretically have over-optimized anchor text and not get penalized if you’re doing everything else right.

But like I said: This is rare.

Most websites with over-optimized anchors also have low-quality links, low-quality content, poor UX, and will often be too aggressive with on-page SEO.

You’ll need to run an SEO audit to tackle these issues.
But let’s just focus on over-optimized anchor text.

The first question is:

Should You Disavow?

I wanted to clear the air before I explain the strategies:
Disavowing is an absolute LAST resort.

There are two situations when it’s warranted:

1: Your site is getting hit with negative SEO or it’s been hacked

2: It’s impossible to remove the links you built

That said:
You can recover from ALL algorithmic penalties without ever needing to use this tool.

If you have a manual penalty, then it may be necessary (I’ll be addressing manual penalties after this section).

Here are 3 ways to fix over-optimized anchor text without disavowing:

3 Ways to Fix Over-Optimized Anchor Text

1. Remove Links With Commercial Anchor Text (From Spammy Sites)

Before you go buck-wild removing links, listen carefully:
If you remove any link from your profile, your site’s authority will decrease.

EVEN IF THE LINK SUCKS.

You must replace the low-quality links you removed with high-quality links.

Just removing links won’t recover your rankings.

In fact:
It may hurt even more because you’re decreasing your site’s authority.

As I discussed in the section about anchor text placement, you should only use commercial / keyword-rich anchor text on “power” link sources.

If you made the unfortunate mistake of building backlinks on low-quality sources with keyword-rich anchors, then you have two options:

1: Go back and delete the links.

2: If you can’t delete the links, then disavow.

After you’ve done all you can do to remove keyword-rich anchors from spammy sources, then it’s time to jump into anchor text dilution.

Please notice that I said “spammy” sources.

Don’t go on a link-deleting spree because you will end up deleting links that are actually helping you.

2. Dilute Your Anchor Text

This is the most common technique and it does work in many cases.

All you are going to do is build unoptimized backlinks to your website with nothing but branded, generic, and naked link anchors.

Absolutely no keyword-rich anchors!

Use the “foundational” links I explained in the previous section to dilute your anchor text profile.

Before Penguin 3.0, you could counter over-optimized anchors by using the dilution technique.

Diluting works, but you need to consider this:

Websites aren’t just penalized because of the existence of low-quality links.

They’re penalized because the ratio of low-quality to high-quality links in their profile is off.

In other words:
You need more quality links to offset the low-quality links. That’s why some websites can “get away” with low-quality links in their profile.

Here are some link types to help you dilute your anchor text profile:

1.) Strong, Relevant Backlinks

These are the most costly but are also the best for improving your overall link profile. Get as many as you can. Relevancy is king with or without a penalty.

2.) Business Directories / Local Citations

Take the time to create business listings because it’s a perfect way to send quality link unoptimized anchors to your site. Just make sure your NAP-W information is consistent.

3.) LEGIT Social Profiles

Go out and build REAL social profiles for your website. Populate the profiles with your information, content, etc.
Only use the best sites: Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc.
These sites will give you a nice mix of NoFollow and Follow unoptimized anchors and will build trust for your website.

4.) High-Quality Press Release Distribution

Create a quality press release and distribute it through a quality channel. Press releases are great for quickly getting unoptimized anchors from many different IPs. You will also build diversity in your link profile because of the NoFollow / Follow mix.

3. Use the 301 Penalty Recovery Trick

Remember in an earlier section when I said that anchor text travels through a 301 to the new website?

You are going to use this to your advantage to recover from an algorithmic penalty.

There are two variations of the 301 penalty recovery trick.

Variation #1: Expired Domain > Penalized Domain
For the first variation, you will need to find quality expired domains through a service like Freshdrop. Make sure the anchor profile is clean and has very little keyword-rich anchors.
Look for a domain with branded, generic, and naked link anchors or what some people may refer to as a “natural” anchor profile.

Although you are not necessary using this expired domain for ranking purposes, it’s not a bad idea to find one with solid metrics.

Preferably DR 20 +, DA 20 +, and a Trust Flow of 10 +.

If you can find a domain that is relevant to yours, it will work even better.

Then just 301 redirect the expired domain to your penalized site and track the results.

Variation #2: Links > Penalized Site > New Website

For variation two, you are going to start fresh with a new website, but you are going to piggyback off the authority of your penalized domain (hopefully it has some).

Step 1: Buy a new BRANDED website (avoid EMD, PMD)

Step 2: Build high-quality branded backlinks to your new website

Use business directories, quality paid directories, niche relevant blog comments, press releases, etc. Only use branded anchor text.

Step 3: Build unoptimized backlinks to your penalized domain
The goal is to decrease the percentage of keyword-rich anchors. The percentage all depends on the severity of your particular situation.

If you have 70% keyword-rich anchor text, then you will need to get that down to at least 30% or less. If you have 30% keyword-rich anchors, then you will want to get it down to 10% or less.

Step 4: Check your anchor profile with Ahrefs, Majestic, or Open Site Explorer.

Step 5: If you have cut your keyword-rich anchors in half, then it’s time to redirect your penalized site to the new domain.
This works because, A) you are using a new branded website with an established branded text anchor profile, B) you have improved the anchor profile of the penalized website, and C) you have transferred authority to a new domain.

Frequently Asked Questions About Anchor Text

What About Manual Penalties?

It’s less of a headache and much more cost-effective to just start a new website than to try to get out of a manual penalty.

Like I always tell my clients, getting a manual penalty is like going to prison for a felony.

Although you may get out of prison one day, you are still always going to have the felony on your record.

Do you really think Google wipes the slate clean for a website that was previously given a manual penalty?

Even if you do get the penalty lifted, ranking your site will never be easy and it’s always going to feel like “something is holding you back”.

Changing Anchor Text: Red Flag?

I’ve heard this question a lot and I’ve actually done this many times.

The answer is: sometimes.

I know it’s an annoying answer.
If you want to raise a red flag, then change a non-keyword-rich anchor to a keyword-rich anchor. Google may or may not devalue a link when this happens, but it’s definitely not worth it.
Just leave the link how it is, and go acquire a link somewhere else.

Situations that won’t throw up a red flag:

1. Changing a keyword-rich anchor to a non-optimized anchor – going back and decreasing your amount of commercial anchor text can often increase your rankings. If your exact match anchors or keyword-rich anchors are above 25%, then you may want to consider unoptimizing some of those.

2. Deleting an anchor and placing it within a different part of the article – if you decide to change an anchor, you should always place the new one in a different part of the article. When you do this, it makes the anchor/link “new” in Google’s eyes.
You will be losing an aged link, but in theory, starting with a fresh link.

IMPORTANT: You should only change anchor text under extreme circumstances.

Most over-optimized anchor text issues can be solved with the techniques I listed in the penalty recovery section.

Anchor Text Tracking: Don’t Shoot Blindly at the Target

Tracking your anchor text is absolutely critical if you are building backlinks.

If you aren’t, you are basically shooting at a target blindfolded.

There are two ways to track:

1. Manually input every anchor text into a Google Sheet or Excel file

2. Use a tool like Linkio to streamline your anchor text monitoring and optimization.

I used to track my anchor text manually, but Linkio streamlines the entire process.

They pull anchor text from Ahrefs, Moz, and Google Search Console, which makes life a lot easier.

Regardless:

You need to be tracking your anchor text and optimizing throughout the entire link building process.

Last Word About Anchor Text

Anchor text is one very small piece of the SEO puzzle. Most websites are littered with on-site SEO, SEO content, and backlink quality issues.

These areas need to be tackled first. Once you’ve optimized those well, then dive into anchor text optimization. It can give you the edge you need to dominate your competitors.

Angela wrote:
Thank you Nathan for sending this:

If you would like to check out Nathans blog, visit the GOTCHSEO BLOG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Learn About SEO Let's Learn About SEO Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's Learn About SEO
Page 1 of 1